Website Accessibility: Ensuring Everyone Can Visit Your Site.
Why Website Accessibility Matters
Website accessibility is important because it ensures that people with disabilities can access and use websites in the same ways as everyone else. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than one billion people around the world have a disability. That’s a significant portion of the population that may be unable to access your website if it is not accessible. Additionally, there are legal requirements for website accessibility in many countries, including the United States, Canada, and many countries in the European Union.
Making Your Site Accessible
Making your website accessible doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Use alternative text descriptions: Alternative text is a description of an image that is read by screen readers for people with visual disabilities. By including alternative text, you can ensure that people with visual disabilities can understand the content and meaning of your images.
2. Provide closed captions and transcripts: Closed captions are a text version of audio content that can be read by people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Transcripts provide a written version of audio content, which can be helpful to people who have difficulty processing auditory information.
3. Use clear and structured headings: Headings make it easier for everyone to navigate your site, but they are especially important for people who use screen readers. Use clear and descriptive headings so that people can quickly find relevant content.
4. Make sure your site is keyboard-friendly: People with certain disabilities may be unable to use a mouse, so it’s important to make sure that your site can be navigated using a keyboard. This means ensuring that all links, buttons, and forms can be accessed and activated using keyboard shortcuts.
5. Use color with care: Good color contrast is important for people with visual disabilities. Use high-contrast colors to ensure that your text is easy to read.
Website accessibility is an important way to ensure that everyone can access your website, regardless of their abilities. By taking a few simple steps, you can make your site accessible to all. Not only is this the right thing to do, but it may also be a legal requirement in your country. Making your site accessible will help people with disabilities access the information and services they need, and it will also improve the user experience for everyone who visits your site.
Sign Up for Our Newsletters
Get notified of the best deals on our WordPress themes.